FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hi, I'm new here, couple questions......
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #9
Gromph Baenre
Thank you for taking the pictures. She looks very healthy. The reason I asked for a head shot, is because sometimes the structure of the head is different in males and females. As the male matures their head tends to have a triangular shape as you look down on them. The female will have a rounded head structure. During the spring time of the year and up to early summer a mature male of the species will secrete a waxy substance from those femoral pores. Theres no mistaking it. Females, as far as I have observed, do not secrete this waxy substance. Males, will do this little head bob, push up action as they approach the female. Males will also do this chasing there tail on their basking rock and in other parts of their enclosure. I believe this might be a marking of the territory so to speak. I believe you have a female, but I am by no means an expert. I would just watch how she and the male interact around each other, particularly next spring. If you spot any aggressive behaviour, I would most definitely seperate them. Mr. Bartley was in this thread earlier, perhaps he can add something that would assist us in determining the sex. Would you care to lend your opinion or observation on the matter Sir?

I will also check with a fellow Uro enthusist whose knowledge far surpasses mine. Regardless, I think you have a very fine looking, healthy Uro on your hands. If your time permits, posts pics of the male in the photo gallery. I would love to see him.

Good day,

Carson Grindstaff