FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Burms Refusing Food. What Causes This?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Siukie
Question Burms Refusing Food. What Causes This?

Alright, so I just picked up some new burms 2 weeks back, I have other burms that eat fine. But these ones are showing no interest in food what so ever. They are rarely disturbed in their enclosure, only to clean it and attempt feeding. I have been keeping big snakes for years now, and I am quite sure temps in my snake room are fine as well as humidity, I have hides in all their bins.

I'm not sure how these little ones were fed at the breeders, but I'm starting to think it isn't me at all, but their environment before I received them. I've seen it with alot of snakes, any trauma at a facility or force feeding and they often don't eat on their own after that. I picked all the burms up from the same breeder in a trade.

They've been offered F/T mice and rats. But they don't have interest in either. I've tried feeding them normally, then leaving it in overnight, also tried a smaller container over night with the mouse. Nothing.

I picked up a burm from a different vendor at the show, and had a chance to talk to him in person and inquire about that individual snake. He seemed like a very decent guy. And as you can figure, that burm eats great, handles, great, never misses a meal.

So i'm mainly looking for some guidance here.. if someone can offer it. Burms are among one of the greater feeders when it comes to pythons, but the fact that these won't go near a rodent makes me question why.

I think there is alot of conflict, when it comes to how someone should breed snakes. But I think alot of the actual high quality comes from those breeders who put more passion into their work, and care for their animals. Quality over quantity is something we should all remember. While I am not personally holding any breeder responsible for my burms not eating, I still think it has alot to do with how they were handled from birth/day 1.

Anytime I have bought snakes from someone who seems to genuinely care about that individual reptile, they have been great snakes to own. The larger breeders that I have purchased from, have ended up sending out under-fed, weak looking snakes that are afraid to touch a mouse.

I'm open to any and all suggestions someone can pass along for feeding these baby burms. But in my personal opinion, a burm that won't touch a rodent in any way, shape, or form.. brained or not, then it's been traumatized in some way.

-Sarah Mis