FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Origin of the Coral Bearded Dragon
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up color quality

Hey Owen, I'm not sure who was the first to name their dragon color coral, but I do remember way back over 10yrs ago Kevin Dunn came out with an extremely bright red line and it was called coral. Not sure if he developed it himself or started out buy buying the originals elsewhere. As far as how to make very colorful dragons, you have to pair reds with reds if you want reds. Not red to yellow or you end up with less red. after each batch is hatched you hold back 5 of the most colorful and weed them out as they grow and hold a few back each generation. You need to have multiple bloodlines and not in breed for the best success.
I started out with sandfires about 15yrs ago, added chris allen, kevin dunn, georgia beardies etc, and made my own colors a bit at a time. Nowadays it's easier to find bright dragons and start out colorful.
I find that a red translucent dragon is a more intense red usually because the skin is translucent and has a darker undertone. While the normals have a lot of white markings and the skin is a lighter shade underneath. Here is 2 pics as an example. 1st one is a red sandfire italian leatherback, while the 2nd one is a translucent it.leatherback. And if these were hypo, they would lose most or all dark pigments. Hope that helps! =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08721.jpg (285.2 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg P1010713.jpg (175.0 KB, 292 views)