FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections.
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #82
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMeNtEdDoGz View Post
You wouldnt be gutting the forum software....it may take some work to add in a function to prevent the thread from being "bumped" but there have been mods for replying with out bumping and bumping with out replying for years. I remember working on a similar mod for phpbb almost a decade ago. It might not be that simple, but is completely doable.
Of course. Just about anything is doable in a programming application if enough effort and money is applied to it. The question is, how much money SHOULD I throw at such a problem? And WHY should I if a simpler, somewhat satisfactory, solution exists? Blocking replies stops bumping abuses dead in it's tracks, does it not? And it is a whole lot less labor intensive for the mods than the alternative of simply re-enabling replies again.

But in any event, if you know of a simple programming algorithm that can differentiate a REAL post from someone simply using any number of ploys to effect a bump, heck, let me in on it. I've done programming in my younger years, but by no means consider myself an expert.

In any event, I don't see the poll providing me any mandate to change from what is currently implemented.