FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - need info,recommendations or encouragement
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
yeloowtang
need info,recommendations or encouragement

I'm at a lost and not sure if it's worth trying anymore..i got this up on another forum but tough i might get different oppinions here at the same time.

this is the story of the same albino female i asked about a while ago.
so a quick run down of events.

last year i got her off a guy in Montreal who had a few snakes for sale;
phone conversation said she was a good 800g, then email before meeting she's down to 650 ish, and finaly home she weighted 525g, a p## o## but hey she looked nice.
the day we met was cold so the inspection was quick as to keep the snake warm. (my mistake)

after i got her home she was set up in her large bin for evaluation (quarentine) same room but seperate from all the rest , the bin and snake were treated as a prevention measure for parasites.

this is where it all starts:

after about 10 days we noticed weasing and nose bubbles, contacted the kid and told him about it so he would check all is other snakes , of course they are all perfect and his story of getting rid of all his visuals to only breed special secret projects with hets is the reason he sold his snakes...
anyhow, i decided to take her to the vet and get her treatment.. since she would probably die if given back ( my mistake again)

so treatment history:

first vet visit got baytril injections , 5 total , every second day all seem to be well and she started feeding for a few months and got up to the 800g ball park

symptomes came back, actually never fully went away as i kept her seperate and watched her closely (summer now) and tried the home remedy with the vicks, said to work.. well it help but never went away, so another vet visit and they insisted baytril again, this time i gave the injections myself since they did not know where to give them.
after my research they should be injected in the upper 1/3-1/2 and they went lower 1/3.
that's another story.(i switched vets)

after this, she was still feeding and looked like she would finally recover.. but at closer examination, things were still not 100% so to the new vet i went ( well respected herp vet) she prescribed fortaz injections 9 all together plus a swab and a culture exam.
I have my oppinion about cultures now :-/

she seemed to be out of the woods but this time she pooped and had a sent gland prolapse !#$%$!@$!@%$%$@ i didn't dare fix it myslef ( i did try to massage it back in and try the water sugar treatment.....so back to the vet.
I made sure she stayed wet ..so more fortaz was given as it seems she had a little mucus still and a anti-inflamatory to help.., lungs sounded fine.. the vet wanted to do a x-ray to make sure she wasn't pregnant ?????? the snake has never been near a male, unless that ###K tried breeding a 525g female and she retained sperm ????

after injections were done, she prolapse again, this time i fixed it myself, pooped and found a little blood and diarea stools !!!!! :-o $!@$!$@@!^ ok so took the poop sample for analysing, results came back negative.

she now prolapses evrytime she pees, she hasn't eaten in 3 month, looks a little dehydraded, because while treating, i had to keep the cage (glass now) dry and sterile because of the bacteria found in the culture, humidity feeds it so water bowl had to be desinfected daily and cage cleaned as well, while keeping warmer temps.otherwise when she drinks, she will contaminate the water and in return re-contaminate herself !!!

she comes out at night and looked as if we got her back to healthy.. so i taught..
finally the RI seems to be cleared (only good news)but her rear section seems infamated and redish almost blood clought like, she's looking skinny now.. wanted to force feed to help..
i know it's not a BURN the max temps are 92 where she sleeps in the hide

just for info : i have over 10 years experience with snakes and never had a sick snake before this one, all my other 35 snakes are perfect including my royal pythons,green tree python, emeralds boas, amazons boas , retic.
cages are cleaned daily,water bowls are filled daily and clean/switched weekly, everyone in on paper towels with proper heat temps and controlers, room is kept at 80deg and 50% humidity, arboreals are sprayed daily and other snakes as they need to be, all shed perfectly and eat as they should - other than the royals that are in breeding mode(off feed)

sooooo sorry for such a long read and thank you for all who take the time to read.
I may missed a few little details but that is the most of it..

I guess what i'm trying to get as info or guidance is:

when do we call it quits ??? 1 year 750$ in vet bills and seems just when she may be going to make it something else pops up...
is it worth continuing to help her fight back to health or count my loses and walk away with my head donw... just put her out of her misery !!! i feel after doing all this it's hard to give up when she may just be to the point of making it, then again , is it going to take another 700$+++ and have her die as an end result ????

i have photos but for some reason the photo bucket transfer seems to have changed and i can't upload ????? says click and drag but when i do so, no options to save show up ??

thanks for your time and feel free to share info and taughts regarding this poor female

Steph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg albino f1.jpg (241.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg albino f2.jpg (180.9 KB, 188 views)