FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - whats a good snake
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #83
Pmsayi
I would like to caution about a few things;

First, if you are going to use Craigslist make sure your parents are aware of what you are doing and do not meet anyone you contact or who contacts you there alone or without an adult present. There are many legitimate people and items posted on there, but, there are also people who do not have the best of intentions that frequent that site.

Second, beware of getting bitten by the "herp bug". Many people (myself included) have found themselves over committed to large collections. I have in the past found myself caring for hundreds of reptiles trying to juggle the care of the adults, neonates, as well as sales of offspring with work, family, and having a life. I have since come to the conclusion it is better to have a small manageable collection that is enjoyable than it is to keep a large volume. The collection we have now allows us the time to interact with the animals and get to know their individual quirks and behaviors. We no longer breed but rather simply enjoy the individuals we have.

Based on what you have stated recently in this thread I think what you consider to be more commonly kept snakes may be a better approach for you. While some of the species may be considered "pet store stock" in general terms, there are plenty of morphs you will never see in a pet store. I have some new recommendations for you that I believe may be more appropriate for your current situation and skill level:

1) Corn snake: there are many mutations that you will be hard pressed to find in a pet store. Some examples you may find interesting are:

Sunspot motley

Okeetee

Candy cane:

There are literally hundreds of corn mutations out there. Take some time to see whats out there before ruling them out.

Sonoran Gopher snake: This is one of my favorite pits. They have good temperament, reach a respectable size (6'-7'), and are available in a few morphs.

Albino Sonoran Gopher

Normal Sonoran Gopher

Gray Banded King snake: You are unlikely to find these in a pet store though they are commonly kept. I prefer the traditional "Blairs" phase but there is quite a variety out there. Make sure you tell whoever you are going to purchase one from that you are a beginner and need one established on pinkies if you go this route. Once established they are easy to care for and quite gentle.

Gray banded king snake (Blairs)

Gray banded king snake (Alterna)

Rosy boa: These are small boas (30"-42") native to the U.S. and Mexico. They have great temperament and are easy to care for.

Rosy boa albino coastal

Rosy boa coastal

Rosy boa Mexican

Children's or Spotted pythons: These are small (30"-36") Australian pythons that are easily cared for and have nice temperaments. Children's pythons have a tendency to fade and become blotchy as they mature. Spotted pythons are available in a blonde phase, Burmese phase, and albino.

Juvenile children's python

Any of the above snakes have the potential to make a good first snake for you without overwhelming your capability to care for whichever one you choose. All have pretty straight forward husbandry requirements and tolerate handling well once established.