FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Inquiry MJC Serpents...
Thread: Inquiry MJC Serpents...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #33
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcballpythons View Post
And anyone who doesnt know what sort of damage it does to overfeed them (a two month old Boa being fed TWO SMALL RATS PER WEEK) should not own a boa. that's all i am going to say.
You didn't state that." Two small rats a week"

You stated.
Quote:
Just got one of the phone calls I dread - one of the baby Boas I shipped out over a month ago died today. My first question: "How often were you feeding him?" Sure enough, he was being fed weekly. It was explained to me how yesterday and today his body temperature was cold and he didn't seem right. So I am 99% sure that he suffered organ failure due to eating too often. This is the thing with Boas, they can't be fed like we feed our Balls. They can't be allowed to grow too fast either. They are too sensitive. And now I am totally bummed
You then replied neonates should be feed once every two weeks.

Quote:
Babies a mouse once every two weeks. Adults a rat every two weeks or less if its holding a good weight
Which, I will follow up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
Also since when does a snake die from organ failure within such a short amount of time from "being over fed"? That just doesn't make sense to me at all, as I've been feeding my snakes once a week for YEARS (2005 to be exact) . I've never lost a snake, nor have I ever heard of anyone else losing a snake due to "over feeding" or "organ failure" due to over feeding. If this is true, wouldn't A LOT of people being having their collections die off left and right due to "organ failure from over feeding"?

Yeah, that was garbage. Every BCI litter I have had has been fed every week with no problems. Been doing it for a decade now.

Most that I know recommends feeding once a week for neonates. Some feed at 5 days. I know one who feeds every ten.

The first question she asked was, How often did you feed it after a month?

Her immediate response was "It died of organ failure, your fault"

That's not cool. Whoever bought this snake that died was feed a line. She's not qualified to make that clam, didn't have any evidence of it and you deserve a better answer.

I can tell you ever person that I can think of that has a household name and has provided neonate guides suggests feeding them once a week. Like I stated, I know one that feeds every 10 days.

Someone who has been keeping snakes a year telling someone how their snake died without the experience or knowledge is wrong. You have no business claiming such.