FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bearded dragon wont eat his greens
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
E.Shell
Your lizard is likely not really comfortable enough yet to eat readily, but I suspect moving the food triggered a feeding response and he ate it without actually wanting it. Mine will do that occasionally...when they are undecided about a food item, I'll slip it into any slight opening in their mouth and they'll just sort of reflexively eat it.

I'd suggest being patient with him and see if he doesn't come around in a few days.

Review the care sheets and make sure there is a warm side that is warm enough and a cool place he can retreat to. If the BD is not warm enough, he will not want to eat.

If he is still slow to respond in a few days, I'd give him a warm bath. Not too warm, again, check the care sheets, and don't leave him unattended in the water. This 20-30 minute soak in an inch or so of water both hydrates them and usually triggers a bowel movement, which, in turn, makes more room above and might incline him to eat.

Compared to crickets, B. dubia roaches are a great food item. Easy to maintain and breed, quiet, low odor, easy to handle, don't go jumping away, easy to gut load, dragons love them.

There are members here that breed and sell feeders like B. dubia for reasonable prices. You should probably start your BD on 'mediums' or 'medium/smalls'. Recall the standard advice about food items that should fit between the bearded dragon's eyes to safely pass their digestive tract.

If you decide to get a colony going, dubia are easy to sustain. I started with a few hundred to feed four BDs and ended up giving away thousands of them, both an ongoing production surplus and as a bulk give away when I discovered I was allergic to them.