FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 2nd 2014 O. p. coxi clutch update thread.
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Charis
I have not brumated them so far. Probably won't this winter but might next. Last year I wasn't sure my one female was going to be big enough to breed, so I didn't want to brumate her and slow her up, though I have heard of people feeding their Oreocryptophis at brumation temps. I paired her with the male after her first shed in February and they locked up immediately, was figuring if they bred without it, good, if not, it wouldn't hurt anything for her to go another year without.

This year I was wanting to get my other female up to size, although she is now more than big enough to breed, so I probably could brumate all three adults this year ...

At the house we used to live in, there was a great room in it to use for brumating, was very easy to keep it around 50/55 degrees. Unfortunately the house we bought two years ago doesn't have any place that works nearly as well. I'm still struggling to get it below 60 degrees.
In most cases (not all) I don't see the point in brumating snakes under a year old though, so I almost never do it with hatchlings.

So I guess in answer to your question, I don't really know. It doesn't appear completely necessary for a decent breeding season but it might help give you better results.