FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Eastern box turtles
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcr1121 View Post
Last I checked, there were no permits required to sell eastern box turtles in South Carolina. They are not a protected species. And I don't think you need a commercial permit to sell them either.
This species does in fact receive protections from the State of South Carolina, as well as limitations in it's harvesting. Are you 100% sure this seller is selling CB EBTs? I'm not, hence the questions. If they are WC, are you able to definitively answer that this seller has not reached her maximum allowed limit of out-of-states sales of WC box turtles this year? What is the higher probability, in a state where these are relatively common, that these are CB or WC?

http://dnr.sc.gov/swap/main/2015Stat...aptersonly.pdf
“Through the (South Carolina State Wildlife Action Plan) SWAP we are taking a proactive approach to conservation instead of a reactionary one… Stressors include habitat loss or conversion, environmental contamination persecution by humans, illegal harvest,…

…the Eastern box turtle was added due to concerns with losses to the pet trade…

…The Eastern box turtle is being added to the list of Species in Need of Conservation in South Carolina. This species is relatively common in the State, but has become a target for the “wild-caught” pet trade. It was included in the list of turtles protected under the “turtle law” due to the concerns of researchers who have worked with the species for years. It is common for wild caught box turtles from South Carolina to show up frequently at Reptile shows and on reptile websites.”