FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Hurricane Irma
Thread: Hurricane Irma
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Helenthereef
The good news is the storm is travelling fast - my friends in Saba report it is already past them, blue skies and no major damage (but no news on the boats which are in harbour in St Maarten yet). St Maarten, not many miles away, looks like a lot of building and vehicle damage. In my experience, a strong hurricane that passes over you quickly does dramatic damage, but the slow ones that hang around and flood you for days do more in the long run.

Unfortunately there's another one building right behind it, and storms that come close together, affected by the same prevailing weather conditions, usually follow the same tracks pretty closely, so there's more to come.

I think if I was in Florida right now, and had the option, I'd be evacuating. Can't imagine what you do with 200 reptiles James, I guess they can survive without heat at this time of year if your power goes off.

Another useful tip that I just gleaned from hurricane coverage - a good place to store valuable documents/ photos/ delicate stuff is in the dishwasher if you have one; not likely to be moved around and waterproof (but I might want to ensure power/water to it is turned off.....) I guess the same applies to empty fridges too.

The rush for bottled water baffles me - why aren't people storing tap water? Is it really not safe to drink, or is it just fashion?