FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #149
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I have to say I was a little dubious about the new feeding tube as it is a lot thinner than the one I've been using, but I thinned the egg a bit more than usual and it went down SO much easier, it was a better experience for all of us. I believe it's actually a urinary catheter, but it's softer and has a rounded tip, so I feel like I am much less likely to do damage.

I still hope to wean him off it eventually, but you're right, tough as he is I do not believe he would still be alive without it. Thanks again to all of you who helped talk me through the technique and advised me on the equipment etc.
Yes, that's exactly what that is...a hospital-grade human urethral catheter. The closed & rounded end with holes just above the tip keeps you from causing internal injuries- it's a far cry from regular plastic tubing, thank you for "going the extra distance" for this snake. Every one seems to dread the idea of tube-feeding a snake, but it's far gentler than "force feeding" whole prey items when you use the right equipment & techniques, and snakes swallow prey that's WAY bigger than this flexible & lubricated tube. When you give them the easily-digested nutrition they need, they usually feel better -energized- pretty fast, & then their own appetite will return and they can get well again. As I've said before, it's similar to what an I.V. does for us when we're in the hospital...without that, we'd stay in that downward spiral.
Over the years, I've successfully tube-fed various snakes, including an old rosy boa that was just "spent" after having babies, and even a rattlesnake that came out of a woodpile in winter & then refused all food for months. My hopes & very best wishes are with you- that your snake makes a great recovery now too as mine have.