FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Captive Urmastyx Ethics
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
mute
Captive Urmastyx Ethics

I have an older male and female mali and a younger female. I've had one of them for about 8 years. The other two I acquired in the past year. As I've been looking for another male to complete a pair I've realized just how rare these are becoming in the US. It's leading me to question what is the ethical approach to keeping them in captivity? It could be said that they are best kept in the hands of highly qualified breeders to increase their numbers. Keeping them without breeding seems troublesome to me. This is leading to self doubt about if it's ethical for me to have them as I've not successfully bred them and even if I do I have no experience with the rest of the process and see no room for trial and error learning. My two questions are: is this an ethical concern and are there known expert breeders out there to communicate with about this? Deer Farms does not appear to be active anymore and is the one I find most online. If their populations are rebounding in the wild then it may just be a matter of domestic rarity and not an ethical problem.