FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - So I was told that the USPS can inspect
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Mike Greathouse
I ship books by Media Mail on almost a daily basis. The Postal Laws regarding Media Mail are well-defined and posted in plain sight at every Post office I have ever utilized. The price you pay for the cheapest possible method of shipment, is to be prepared to have your package inspected.

I don't know if any of my packages (over 300 last year) were ever opened and inspected, but I never had a single complaint from a customer. My company name: Reptilian Dreams is cleary displayed on the shipping label, so I would think if Postal Employees were looking for illegally shipped reptiles, nearly every package i ship would probably be opened. I don't think that has been the case.

Much like you, I am very concerned that my product arrives to my customer in a pristine condition. I simply go the extra step and package for any possibility. If my book mailers are opened, all the Postal employees will find inside is a book(s) wrapped securely in bubble wrap. At that point, they can see exactly what is being shipped and that it qualifies for the Media Mail rate.

Of course, if you still don't want your item possibly disturbed, you can always limit your shipping options to Priority Mail. The cost difference is only about $2.00. The typical package will ship Priority for $4.30 and if you generate the postage on-line, the Delivery Confirmation is free.

Not a bad deal.

Best of luck with your books and magazines.