FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Lawns and lawn care
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Lucille
Lawns and lawn care

I am not one of those who has a perfect lawn, although I greatly admire those who have them; they are extemely high maintenance. Much of my property is planted with shrubs, flowers, trees, and veggies.

The lawn I do have is mostly St. Augustine, a good grass for Texas. (There is a section of Bermuda out back, long story, but it is an aggressive grass that takes a lot of abuse).
I do not cut too short, as that stresses the grass, and here in Texas with our long hot summers, the less stress, the better. I water some in the middle of the summer; and fertilize occasionally. I do not use weed-n-feed as, over time, trees can absorb the chemical in the 'weed' part and die, and by summer my lawn chokes out most of the spring weeds anyway.

After years of investing in cheap mowers I ponied up some money a couple years ago and bought a good Honda, a great investment, it is a good quality mower. Good tools make a difference, and the Honda makes my job easier; it starts easily, cuts well, and has been problem-free.

Up until last year I used electric weed trimmers both with a cord and rechargeable since they are lighter and I thought a gas one would be too heavy and hard to handle. I happened across a used Homelite (John Deere) at a benefit garage sale last year and purchased it, and it is terrific! It is not as heavy as some of the gas trimmers so I can handle it, and rating it against the electric ones, it is significantly stronger and more useful.

What do y'all do for lawn care? Which are your fave mowers, weed trimmers, etc.?