FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Wanted Homopus in the USA
Thread: Wanted Homopus in the USA
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
Tpa1679
CITES vs. federal CB wildlife permit

I see CITES and USFWS endangered status confused all the time- CITES only regulates trade between countries. All tortoises for example are listed by CITES in Appendix II.

The Captive Bred Wildlife Permit for interstate sales is a requirement of the Endangered Species Act and is implemented by USFWS for species they consider to be endangered- but that listing is independent of CITES.

For example, Pancakes are now listed as CITES I, but they're not listed as endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Therefore, they can be be bought and sold across state lines.

I hope this helps and clears up some confusion.. Fortunately for us, if an animal does go CITES I, it means they can still be bought and sold across state borders, until, and if, the federal government would list that species as endangered.

Now that all being said, there's once again a federal bill pending that would prevent the USFWS from listing animals that don't live in the U.S. as endangered. If that legislation were successful, the whole CB permit system would go away.... Thanks for reading! -Tom