FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - DWARF Leopard Geckos???
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #224
pch101
Nice to hear from you Marcia,
I realize that Culling does not have to mean killing, but it usually does. In regard to my use of the term, I was responding to some of the comments on Culling that Robin has made in where she is making it a clear reference to killing. If I am mistaken, than I will gladly retract my statement. Has there not been discussion of this nature here in this very thread? Basically I do not want to get into a play on words. Like I said, I realize "culling" means "to remove from the gene pool." However, I believe it has been used here as a nice way to say kill. Now for your question:

“Breeder” is a term that I am just not comfortable with for many reasons. When I think of a "Breeder" I think of a somewhat obsessive person that breeds animals, for profit, and rationalizes this behavior by deluding himself/herself into thinking that they are saving the species. They very often have little or no formal wildlife education or training especially in regard to breeding and genetics, and many of them seem to resent people with actual wildlife management, Biology, or Genetic backgrounds. Many of them do things like kill offspring that they produce, yet feel they cannot profit from. They also get very obsessed about changing the species in order to fit the demands of their hobby. Look at what many dog and cat "breeders" do. They take it to the next level. They often kill offspring that are born with the "wrong" markings even though it is a perfectly healthy animal. They just do not want anyone else having access to their "superior" genetics. They rationalize what they do in their obsessive little minds into thinking what they do is for the good of the breed, when in fact, it is for the good of their wallet. How close are we as "breeders" getting to this type of behavior? I think it is a question we should all ask ourselves. I am just not 100% comfortable with that term, even though I too breed and sell reptiles…