FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Michigan state law issues
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #17
jsrocket
I have looked; have not been able to find any such site. Please post it if anyone knows of one.

Actually, this forum would be a great place for readers to compile what they know about local Michigan ordnances. If enough contribute, we can do it right here!

You need to consider: County Laws
Township Ordinances
City Ordinances

Here's a site which contains a lot of info, but it takes a little searching and navigating to find the info. that we are looking for.

http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/michloc.html

I do not have the time to do all this research, but if a lot of us contributed,
it could be done quickly and easily. So, in order to get the ball rolling, here's what I know for sure:

CITIES of Ann Arbor, Lansing , Detroit all ban hots. No gray area here.

Clinton County prohibits "dangerous exotic animals which would cause a reasonable person to be fearful"...bla. Does not specifically say anything about reptiles, but it might be hard to argue that a cobra, for example, does not fall into this category.

One county down, 81 to go. Not to mention the cities and townships.

One last word: please don't call your local gov't agency and start asking questions like, "Am I allowed to have a diamondback rattlesnake?". The less such things are brought to their attention, the better, especially if there are no laws against hots in your area. Try to find out using the web, library, your lawyer, etc..

I really hope this will turn out to be a good resource for hot keeping Michiganders. Knowledge is Power!