FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - *Off Topic* Fix to my brumation problem w/ Western Hognose?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Payan - LA
Hehe, thanks Robin I owe you one =)

And Jodi, thanks for the input. Lots of people have told me that all they do is throw the hogs together and they get good clutches every year. At the same time other's have told me that the only get fertile eggs if they expose the snakes to a period of time with temps that get to at least the mid 60's.

Do you know anything about the fridge method? Also, do you think the locale of the hogs you work with probably has something to do with not needing any brumation? And finally do you know any others who have the same success as you w/out brumating?
Interesting question. Do herps that live in areas where it doesn't get cold, still brumate? They may still go deep under ground where it is cold, due to cues like photo period, or something. Or are they active year round? Any field herpers here with experience in those parts of Texas or Florida where it may never get cold enough to brumate?
Jodi has Texas locality hognose that do fine without brumation, and corns are well known to double and even triple clutch without brumation. I wonder if you had some plain's Hognose from Northern Montana, or Corns from somewhere cold, if they would want to brumate, or would have to brumate to breed successfully?