FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - North Carolina state law issues
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #6
NCStateHerps
Exclamation Legality of city/county ordinances vs. state law

Clay, this is interesting to me that this bill has been in state legislature trying to pass..ive never heard of it before although I do know that many states are doing such things such as NY for instance.

I have one major question though....doesnt state law override the regulations established by cities/counties? On a trip to FL, the topic was brought up concerning Gaston County specifically that they had put into effect the law requiring registration of exotic animals/venomous snakes prior to a certain cut off date. If not registered by specified date, individuals would not be able to obtain a permit to keep such animals (basically, the permit grandfathered those who were already keeping such animals). The gentlemen in FL which im not going to bring into naming frequently work with state and city government and very "fluent" in the regulations especially when it comes to reptile issues and they told us that state law supposedly would govern over city and county law. Basically, since NC does not have any laws regulating herps other than endangered/S.C./threatened species and African Clawed Frogs, that it is totally legal for one to possess even though the county/city government has tried to limit it?

One of the reasons i bring this up is for instance my friend uses a copperhead and a cottomouth for display at educational programs for things like YMCA events for conservation and public knowledge purposes.

Also, im enrolled in a Wildlife Legislation and Policy class currently, and this could make a very interesting topic for discussion

If anyone has any info on this/link explaining any stipulations or justifications for county/city statutes please post them....

Thank you