FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Greater Nashville Reptile Show?!?! Warning / Potential problems.
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #105
rujonesin
Chuck

I have heard several people complain about the prices there. Some of the things you said just irked me. It wasn't meant as a personal attack.

VERY few people get to purchase balls for $3 ea. Unless you are importing them by the tens of thousands. Most people who buy a 100 or so is paying between $7-$9. NONE of those balls have eaten a meal when you get them, so you take the chance of them living or dying. By the time you get a couple meals in them and with shipping, caging, heating, deli cups, table fees, gas, food, hotels, die-offs (I'm sure the list goes on) You easily have $10-$12 into them. Why would anyone want to invest that and turn around to sell them for $15? People are selling 10 lots of feeding females for $350 on the internet and others are paying it.

When you get vendors like the guy dumping non-eaters for $5 each all it does is hurt the reputations of shows in general. I am a firm believer in the theory "You get what you pay for". I saw that everyones prices were about the same for balls at the show. Except for one vendor. Now for a guy that feeds dying snakes to other snakes that guy is a nice find. I can assure you that the quality of care that goes into an animal is reflected in its price (normally). If he had a sign on the cage that said "non-eating balls" it may have been different. I talked to people that bought from him and they had no idea that they were non-eating snakes.

As far as "Bonnie & Clyde" doing another show, trust me when I say it isn't going to happen. Any vendors that have already done their show won't do it again. (I wouldn't if tables were free) The other vendors who considered it are glad they didin't and have heard about what happened. Now that you are starting to beleive they actually wrote bad checks, who would ever work with them? I had numerous residents tell me the mayor owned that building.
If I were going to be writing bad checks one of the last people I would write one to is the mayor of the town I live in. Bad payroll checks? How can legal ramifications not be following? It should've been a clue Friday night when we couldn't get them to turn the other half of the lights on.