FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 2005 Season Results
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #34
Sasheena
*Update*

The last baby from my clutch #6 finally crawled out of it's egg, sans yolk. It's very tiny, skinny, and weak, and I'm not sure if it will live. Today after I'm done cleaning my mouse house, I'm going to bring in some newborn pink mice and offer one up to each of the kings that have recently hatched while leaving their yolks behind, plus my first hatched cal kings who have all started to shed.

Baby #3 from clutch #6 was finally euthanized. I think that the umbilical area got infected. It was writhing around in agony, flaccid and yellowish orange inside. It was clearly dying. I did the only thing I could, popped it in the freezer before heading to work yesterday.

Clutch #7 (which is the one that is in question anyway) still hasn't hatched. The eggs continue to look good and are on day 65. My other cal king clutches have been hatching on day 62 and 63. I will continue to incubate them for a while. Perhaps all the way to day 80 if I can have that kind of patience, before I will open them up to see what's what inside the eggshell. Could be they perished back with the others but the eggshells are just a little more durable and able to keep in the "goobers".... but they are starting to indent and they SMELL like eggs do when they are getting ready to hatch, so I just will let them be for the moment.

Clutch #8 (last planned clutch of the year) had three out of 11 eggs slit while I was at work yesterday. Overnight 2 more have slit. It's interesting to me that all the eggs in one of the egg boxes hatched already, but none of the eggs in the second egg box have begun to hatch?! Perhaps there is something about the material from which the two kinds of egg boxes are constructed. The hatching eggs are in a glad sandwich container, and the eggs that haven't hatched are in a rubbermaid container. This clutch could have albinos, and judgeing from the little translucent "windows" on the ends of about five of the eggs, perhaps I do have an albino. Four out of five are black, and sometimes you can see that it's the actual snake because it will move and you'll see the outline of its pattern. But one of those eggs looks pinkish at the opaque parts, so perhaps it's an albino? We'll see.