FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Marion County Humane Society/Animal Cruelty Division (long)
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Zoo Supply
Marion County Humane Society/Animal Cruelty Division (long)

Ok, I really doubt any of this will get back to them, but hey, you never know.

Here is some backround info on what has recently happened, and the Humane Societies involvement.

I have a retail store located in Ocala, Fl. Our business name for the retail store division is B & T reptiles. At our prior location, our landlord (I will keep everything private until criminal investigation is over) shut off the relay to our A/C outside and locked it. The reason for this according to him, was because he thought the a/c was running too much with a door open to the back room (which is uninsulated).
To say the least, when I finally got an a/c company to the store, (hours after it had warmed up for the day), I had already lost a jackson's chameleon, and four baby snakes.
After calling Florida fish and game, they directed me to the humane society animal cruelty division.

I explained what happened to the lady at animal cruelty and she responded by telling me that I should be charged with animal cruelty if the landlord was.
I asked her what she was talking about and she said that I was at as much fault as the landlord, if not more.
I told her she was wrong, and asked her how she figured this. She said that it was my responsibility to move animals out of the location. When I inquired as to where I was supposed to take them, she said simply, "outside." When I pointed out that the heat index was over 110 degrees, and placing them outside on hot blacktop was not really the right thing to do, she said I could put them in my car.
I realized at this point that I was encountering the humane societies stand on no reptiles as pets.
I told her that that was about the stupidest idea I have ever heard, since I have too many cages to do this.
I then told her that I understood now, and told her that I understood she didn't care for reptiles, that if it was a fluffy little poodle in my car I would get arrested, but since it was reptiles she didn't care. ( I must say that my words were not this nice at this point.)
She told me that I could call whoever I wanted. Whether it was the county, or the city, that I was in as much trouble as the landlord.

I pretty much told her where she could shove it and told her I would go to the state if I had to.

I can't believe that this is still where we are at.... We are in the midst of a multi-billion dollar a year industry, with cutting edge technology, captive husbandry techniques which are better than any other pet industry, and yet the humane society still ignores us.
I am in the process of writing a letter to the editor of the local paper, but since I have a criminal case going with the owner, I have quite a bit going on.

I have since moved stores, and am now being sued by the old landlord for the rest of july's rent.

I had necropsies done on the animals and all had coagulated blood due to hyperthermia. I don't have the reports rightnow as the police have them. I will get my vet to write up some more so I can post on here.

I guess maybe we should get some letters going to the humane society...anyone game?

Hopefully I will nail this guy, I will keep everyone updated.
TOM