FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adopting a Sav
Thread: Adopting a Sav
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
TrpnBils
Alright, that makes more sense then. I wasn't finding much information on Spiny-tailed monitors last night, so this helps me out some. It seems to me that aside from the size of prey items offered, the basic husbandry of all of these monitors is pretty much the same, right? If it is an ackie, he's going to have ample room to move around, as I'm probably going to get this cage before I actually get the lizard...lol.

My aunt emailed me last night and she doesn't have a digital camera, but she said she'd try to borrow one to get me some pictures. I'm completely off today (from class AND work, which is a rare thing for me), so if I hear from her early enough, I'm going to make the 3 hour drive to get it myself tonight, rather than wait to meet her halfway like we were talking about the other night. Since my cousin is out of the picture now, I'm not even sure that this guy is even getting fresh water anymore, so the sooner I can get it, the better I'll feel. And I'll feel a lot better when I can find out what species it is for sure, because I'll have a lot of work ahead of me if it's a Sav and it's as small as she says (and the age is right).

I was talking to the other reptile guy from the zoo last night. He's kept all kinds of herps over the years, including Savs and a few other kinds of monitors. He said that it would be in my best interest to vary the diet (when it's an adult anyway) and not stick to just rodents. But he also told me that it would be okay if I could get him started on a carnivore diet (T-Rex was the brand name he mentioned). Anybody else have any thoughts on this approach? I'll admit, that sounds easier than 1000 crickets a week...