FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adopting a Sav
Thread: Adopting a Sav
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
Alright, that makes more sense then. I wasn't finding much information on Spiny-tailed monitors last night, so this helps me out some. It seems to me that aside from the size of prey items offered, the basic husbandry of all of these monitors is pretty much the same, right?
There are some small differences in husbandry between various monitor species - high end temps, diet, humidity, preferred substrates, cage furnishings, etc - but the description I initially gave is a good basic model to follow. Again, as soon as you can verify the species, we can make whatever changes are necessary to the housing and care plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
I was talking to the other reptile guy from the zoo last night. He's kept all kinds of herps over the years, including Savs and a few other kinds of monitors. He said that it would be in my best interest to vary the diet (when it's an adult anyway) and not stick to just rodents. But he also told me that it would be okay if I could get him started on a carnivore diet (T-Rex was the brand name he mentioned). Anybody else have any thoughts on this approach? I'll admit, that sounds easier than 1000 crickets a week...
I have not used any of the commercial diets, so I cannot comment on them. you can OCCASIONALLY supplement a rodent diet with fish, egg, ground or chopped meat, high quality canned dog/cat food (I recall that one of these was less desirable, but not which one - sorry). you can also add chicks and vary the rodents offered, as well as including invertebrate prey. An adult savannah will still eat bugs (and the act of catching them will get his lazy butt moving, lol), so crickets, superworms, roaches, etc are all acceptable additions.