FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The Disturbing Trend of Price Slashing in the reptile hobby/industry
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2002, 02:46 AM   #23
WebSlave
Man, this is a tough one. So many conflicting thoughts about the state of our industry that I don't know where to begin.

At one of the recent shows I attended, I walked around and saw a plethora of animals that were pure junk. Animals that were dead but they didn't know it yet. Baby albino corn snakes with mid-body bloating and mouths gaping open. Backbones razor sharp on other stuff. I actually heard about a guy nearby me at one of the shows telling customers that leopard geckos with big fat tails were unhealthy, and his with the skinny tails were the better ones to buy. I kid you not.

But the sellers knew that if they put a low enough price tag on it, someone will buy it. Unfortunately there are enough uninformed buyers out there that to them PRICE is the only thing that matters. Many of them are still wet behind the ears with this stuff, and not only don't know healthy animals when they see them, they also don't have a clue about whom has a good reputation or not. In such situations, having the best reputation in the world isn't going to help you one bit.

Quality and reputation are far too intangible for many people to bank on when competing against $$. It requires that the buyer be knowledgeable about too many things. Certainly they are out there, but not in the numbers that the other end of the spectrum abounds. While you are telling the potential customer the truth about your animals, pointing out the best points of them, the next row over the guy is lying is butt off trying to grab the kid's money. So the potential customer is hearing the same thing from everyone. And what does he do? Right, he goes for the cheapest price. After all, he's being told the same thing from everyone about the animals on the tables.

I am amazed at the number of phone calls I get from people saying they are getting ready to do a show and need to buy some animals to take there. They want the animals to show up as close to the show as possible. I've actually had people request that I bring animals with me to deliver at a show so they could put MY animals out on their table at the same show!

Now this blows my mind. These people know NOTHING at all about the animals they are taking to the show to sell. So when the potential customer asks about an animal (you know, is it feeding, when did it hatch, etc.), do you think they say "Heck, I don't know. I just got it in yesterday." No, I don't think so. I think they just make up something to try to reel in that fish in front of the table.

Heck, some importers probably make much of their living by shipping out animals to dealers to sell at shows the next weekend. In many instances, the boxes are opened up for the first time right there at the show.

At some of the shows, a sure sign that the blood-letting is about to commence is when over the loud speaker system you start hearing things like "All animals at RoadKilled Reptiles are now half off!" I have determined that at the first broadcast of this type at any show I attend, I will immediately start packing up my stuff to leave.

And the internet is not much better. Anyone can make their site look professional with not too much time, money, or effort. When someone goes to KINGSNAKE.COM, for instance, looking for a particular type of animal, they merely need to click on each link on the breeder/dealer list and then compare prices. Obviously the one with the cheapest price will get called first. What about reputation? "Heck the site sure looked professional and he was real nice to talk to on the phone." That will work more often than not to catch a first time buyer.

I dread the day that something like PRICE.COM, or SHOPPER.COM hits our industry. If you haven't seen those sites, take a look and imagine seeing all of us listed there based on selling price alone.

So where will this all lead? Something will have to give, certainly. Since it is doubtful that the people selling at rock bottom prices will make any effort at capturing repeat business by increasing the quality of their merchandise, and bringing prices up to reflect this change, the people offering top drawer quality will either have to lower their prices (and likely their standards), go under, or both.

Unfortunately, in this type of environment, one of the two most likely categories of businesses to go under will be the starting breeders that have really nice stuff, but don't have anything like a reputation or a following to sustain them through the rough times. Fortunately, on the other hand, it will also be the used car salesmen types that finally figure out that there is much more money in doing other things with their time, that bite the dust as well.

Did anyone notice the latest issue of Reptiles Magazine, specifically the back section with the classified ads? Where did they all go? Not long ago there may have been 6 to 8 pages of ads there. This month, there was just barely over one page. Have that many people folded up their tents, or did that many people figure it's no sense paying for the advertising there?

Oh yeah, while I'm on this topic. I heard recently that there are three major breeders of leopard geckos whom produced something like 30,000 to 50,000 babies EACH this past year. There may be more of this size, plus many more producing a couple thousand or so, each. Do you think there is any relationship to the leopard gecko market being in the toilet now? Nah. Must just be a coincidence, I guess.

And what about the number of ball pythons imported? I think you could pave the world with their carcasses. Certainly with as many being imported each year, only a miniscule fraction of them must survive otherwise we would be hip deep in them right now.

OK, it's late and I'm just rambling now.