FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Would including a USPS MO on trades help decrease the risk posed by trades?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Quote:
You mean if there is a differnt value to the trade deal? Sending the difference in a USPS MO? Doing a straight trade there wouldn't be any money involved, so I'm kind of confused as to what you are pondering.
John,

My thought was, what if as part of the trade one included a certain amount of cash though a USPS MO. Let us say for the sake of argument $30. If the receiving end cashes the order one has something to hold to (federal offense for not delivering what was promised). Of course if the value of the animals is in the order of let's say $300, he might choose not to cash the order and even return it to you. It will cost him just the envelope and the stamp. As Whitney says everything would have to be backed-up in writing for example through e-mails.

Example: I want to trade with someone a couple of snakes that are worth $300. I send him a money order for $30 which he is supposed to cash, and in turn send me his snakes, with another $30 order (they thus cancel out). Would that be any sort of legal protection in case he doesn't send his animals? Things that I think might go wrong with this scheme:

a. he doesn't cash the order.
b. he cashes the order but sends something completely different than was suppposed to (misrepresentation).
c. he sends an empty box and claims the sender is attempting to pull a scam on him.

Is there a way around this?

Regards.