FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons -- Nightmare
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #240
CheriS
Paul,

When you registered here on Fauna or any other site, you provided an email to them for the purpose of using thier service. That was the extent of what you authoirzed. You did not authorize someone else from somewhere else to come on those places and by using other means to harvest your email, that is called stealing (ei, a : to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully) and then to sell it to others or use it to send you uninvited emails to solicit you. That is called spam (ei n: unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses )

Those are Websters definitions, not mine or "that some people may look at what this person is doing as spamming" it is spamming. Of course, people that do it or want to promote themselves that way, never do see it as SPAM. I think the usually line is there were just "helping others". An email was never given or provided to Fire and Ice for them to send out those newsletter or asked for by the owners of them, they harvested them or hired someone to get them from other sites.... thats stealing.

This site is fairly protected from harvesting emails, and people viewing your IP address, but many are not or can be harvested by ways not everyone knows, or by programs that can be used. I am not going to go into the details here of how it it is done and start a rush of more people spamming and harassing others.

A few years ago Fluker Farms/Reptile Republic did it to many reptile related sites/forums/list, I remember how many people on here and KS posted and were upset about it. Since then, bacause of what Flukers/Reptile Republic did, many sites have updated their forums and removed the ability for others to access that information so easily, but a lot of list and smaller forums still have the ability for someone to do it, like the one above that I am on and they used to get my email. Other's can hire someone to access that infomation.

Its the internet, many thing are possible if someone wants to pay for it and others are sneaky enough to do it. This thread alone shoudld tell you that you can make up names, add years to your actual experience, award your animals ribbons and trophies, make yourself president of multi business names and appoint yourself to board of directors of other made up ones to impress people and even claim to invent something you never were near.. some will even believe it and maybe you can make some money off them for awhile.. but that does not make it right, true or a honest person. It makes a con artist taking advantage of others.