FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Can someone please help me?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
Junkyard
You have not had your ig long enough for it to trust you. Patience is the key here.

I have one fiesty little girl, about 9 years old, that I cannot hold, she will scratch and bite to get away. I have had her for 3 months now. But (always a but), she now will not eat unless her food is in my hand. If I leave her food in a bowl or on the cage floor she will not eat it. This is a huge difference from when she first arrived, in time she will settle down to be held. I am in no hurry to get her to be calm when held. I am rather pleased with her being so calm during feeding. She acts like a little princess when feeding time comes, which my friends find humorous.

It will settle down after a couple of months, hopefully sooner. When you take it out do not let it run around, when you go to pick it up, the ig probably thinks you are trying to catch it to eat. Constant holding and caressing 3 times a week will make all the difference in the world. Soon enough you will not believe that this little ig was such a scared little thing. I had another that would tail whip me constantly, after one month I had that little guy sitting calmly on it's back in my hand.

Take things slow, but be very consistant. Be very patient and understand it(it is scared). Caressing can do amazing things, massage it's lobes on its neck, those lobes are pressure points. Keep it warm, scratch it's little neck, move slowly when you have it out of its cage, sudden movements will startle it. Kind of sounds like the way women like to be treated