FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Status check and poll on recent crack down
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
WebSlave
So if it is my desire to have people err on the side of caution in their posting here, what is the downside of that? Lapses in judgement can be controlled with enough incentive. I am attempting to provide that incentive. Mistakes will be made, but the fine is not devastating. Maybe some people have fragile personalities and it is quite an affront to them, but in that case I suggest that they work harder at understanding the rules and not have those lapses of make those mistakes.

My goal is to clean up this site and do it promptly. If it takes a stun gun to do it, then that is what I will do. So far it appears to be working, as best I can tell. Been some collateral damage, to be sure, but the pruning will help for future growth. People were afraid to post in the past for being slammed by a few people who relished in doing that sort of thing. That is over with. If those people are afraid to post because of the rules, then the crack down is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Watch your language. Watch the way you speak to and about people. You don't have to be nice and all sugar and spice, but you also do not have to be crude, antagonistic, or abusive either.

And the poll is STILL telling me that there is no need to make any adjustments at this point. If it were 20 to 1 saying I needed to relent a bit, then you would be telling me something. But as of yet, I see no reason to change direction.

And as mentioned earlier, there is a tiered system in place. 1 pointers for really minor infractions, 10 pointers for more severe ones (which means a fine and suspension), and permanent banning for anyone who has proven to be immune to persuasion to change for the better here. Sorry, but that will have to do for now.

And for the record, people HAVE been fined and suspended here for calling someone a "liar" and "thief". Yes, you may have seen some instances of that not being the case, but those are still considered name calling and being derogatory, so anyone doing so does run the risk of penalties for doing so. Yes someone may very well actually be a "liar", "thief", "fool", or "nimrod", but all those labels are just intended by the person stating them to elevate the flames within the thread. As such, depending on the context used, anyone using such terms are definitely at risk of getting suspended from this site. I am not going to be placed in the position of having to determine if someone is truthfully a "fool" or "nimrod" or "liar" or "thief". I have to assume the face value usage of such terms in a derogatory sense. Yes, you may get away with using them, but you may not. So it may very well be in your best interests to err on the side of caution if you choose to accuse someone with such a label.