FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Status check and poll on recent crack down
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #36
WebSlave
Believe me, I do see what you are saying, but please bear with me on this. I felt, and still do, that tough measures are necessary. Pulling back this early would likely give the wrong signal and maybe undo everything accomplished up to this point. The last thing I want to see is some of the trouble makers kick up again, thinking, "Gee, I'm glad that phase is over with! Now I can be myself again and bash a few people here..."

Yes, eventually things will back off a bit, but not because I am doing it intentionally, but because my time will be sucked up during the breeding season with my own animals, and I just won't have as much time to put into this. And with this simple fact in mind, I guess I need to remind everyone that most of the actions taken enforcing the rules lately have been because other members REPORTED those posts as being possible violations. Which means that other people felt the posts WARRANTED the penalties they could possibly incur. So it's not that myself and the moderators are ogres patrolling looking for people to fine and suspend. Many people here WANT us to do what I am saying must be done, and is their input telling us to stay the course.

And even when things are rolled back a bit, there are still going to be many infractions that there is no light rap on the knuckles type of warning for. Someone new to this site who jumps right in with profanity, or some of the other less welcome mannerisms will still be subject to the fine and suspension on the very first penalty. Quite frankly, if that is my first brush with a person like that, I want it to be loud and clear that this sort of activity is simply NOT tolerated, and will not, even if it means they leave via the door they newly entered this site by. I don't want there to be any doubt in their minds at all that it will not be tolerated at all. Strict? Why yes it is. Life in general can be strict sometimes, and we just have to deal with it as best we can.

And honestly, I am glad people are taking their time to review their posts closely before submitting them. I think that is the ultimate goal of what I am trying to do. Make this a better site by REQUIRING that the people participating here post in a better manner. I want this site to be a BIG cut above the rest. I want this site to be respected because of the people who frequent it and how they present themselves in a professional and credible manner. And actually, I don't just WANT it, I now expect it. Yes, this will be hard for some people to do, but I honestly think it is a skill well worth honing and becoming accustomed to using often, not just here on this site. To most people you ARE how you present yourself here in public. That is all they may know about you. So why not present yourself at your best, even if it is basically at gunpoint?