FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Status check and poll on recent crack down
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #37
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco
...... and which was not the system in place and being practiced when I paid to be a member. Not saying that a crackdown wasn't warranted, or that those terms should have gotten a pass. But you made the decision that you could hold the membership fees and contributions of others hostage, and levy monetary penalties.
Quite simply, Jim, the fines and suspensions were in effect well before the paid membership program was implemented. And when it was implemented, I was very explicit about the fact that paid memberships will NOT entitle anyone to special concessions concerning the rules in relation to their financial contributions to this site (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=64541):

Quote:
Something that does need to be brought to everyone's attention about these paid membership programs. These are not "get out of jail for free" cards. Paying members are still subject to the rules of this site and are subject to suspensions when warranted. Just because you PAY for a yearly membership does not mean that you are immune to suspensions until the fine is paid. I do doubt this will become an issue, but I feel that it is best to make this clear up front.
How else would you have me handle this? Anyone being a paid member gets a different set of rules applied? The higher the membership fee, the more immunity from the rules? Preferential treatment to those people paying the most in financial support of this site? No, seriously, I am curious to know what you mean by your statement.

And you also infer that once someone becomes a contributing member, then there is some sort of grandfathering in of whatever the rules were at the time of the payment. Just how would you implement something like that and how would it be enforced? The mods would not only have to consider all violations as to whether or not they warrant warning points, but would also have to consult a chart of levels of enforcement depending on whether or not the violator was a paid member BEFORE or AFTER the implementation? Interesting..... Unrealistic, but interesting...... So maybe I should have held a special sale on memberships prior to the crackdown so those people would be immune and could go on along as before while the newer members or non paying members ONLY would be subject to my efforts to try to make this site better?

Seriously, Jim, you are implying that you became a contributor here BECAUSE the stated rules were so lax and people COULD act in the manner that is NOW being greatly restricted? Now those same rules that were in effect then have stiffer penalties attached to them, and you feel that is being unfair to your expected use of this site? Well honestly, there very well may be some people who think like that, and will certainly not renew their memberships because I have taken away some of the entertainment value they relished from this site. Yes, that was a conscious decision I made, and I do not think I will regret making that decision. And I think as well that more people will appreciate this decision I made, then those who will regret it and leave because of it.