FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Status check and poll on recent crack down
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #79
Chameleon Company
Wendy,

There are many compliments here in your post, and I thank you:

Quote:
Jim,

I just have to ask you this, we have discussed this in private a while back but I just have to ask you once again:

Why are you even involved in all of this, I always thought of you as a person that did not get into the drama of all of these threads, sites, posts, etc. I have as I told you found that you are no different than the rest of us but I thought you were for some reason.

I mean Jim, your chams have been on magazine covers, you have the best (IMO) panther chameleons on the market. You have been featured in Reptiles Mag to show off your set etc.

Why is it that you are so concerned about the warning system here? Why on earth would someone like you, and I guess its the view I have of you, even be worried about warnings, fines, suspentions, what words get you what and so on....
Rich has openly lamented that the "big boys" don't come here. Evidently, you seem to be not only describing me as one, but then questioning why I am here. Excuse me for paraphrasing, but are you suggesting that I should be "above this"? Wendy, you have over 3000 posts. You have been a customer of mine. Its important enough for you to post 3000 times. I have something like 600+. I also voluntarily put about $350 into the site in the last 12 months. Do I need this? No. But the BOI is also the last best place on the internet to be a resource to keep newbies from being ripped off. It is an asset to the future of the hobby. And in my view, the current enforcement activities, while accomplishing a much needed goal, have over-reached to where they have run off and discouraged more than was necessary. My views have been consistently mischaracterized as wanting a return, or lobbying for a situation that would give up hard-earned ground. I do not want Rich to yield one bit on the good results he has obtained. I want him to consider ways to keep those gains, and yet reduce the collateral and inintended results.
You have seen me take some very unpopular positions of late, and many of those close to me have pointed out the risk of opposing Rich here. But I also respect Rich enough to believe that he can handle it, and hopefully realize that while he may not agree with me, that I am not out to undermine his goals. I think we agree on goals, but differ on the best way to get there. He allows dissent, and I always have some cooking if I want to serve it up. I want the BOI to be better. So do all who voted as I did in the poll. Wendy, trust that I question the time that I spend here often. As for the other "big boys" Wendy, why do you think they either are not here, or should not be here?