FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - I'sn't it a beauty?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 AM   #23
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalesnstuff
My point is we are all classified under the same scientific name, but there are very noticeable differences between people of different regions. I know I am 1/8 Native American there is some Scottish in me and Irish. Isn't that hybridization.
Hybridization, by basic definition, is the act of mixing different species...by that definition, No, the example you gave would not be hybridization. However, (this may not be the clearest, so please try to follow) consider the concept of intergrades. This is the natural intermingling of subspecific animals in areas of range overlap. What about when subspecies that would never encounter each other in the wild are crossed in captivity? This is not a true intergrade, but would it be appropriately termed a hybrid?? There are those that would answer yes...and as such, perhaps the mixing of races could/should also be considered in the same light. Others would argue strenuously that it is not hybridization...that since Homo sapiens is the classification for humans, there is no substantial genetic difference that would justify the terms. The differences in appearance do not justify separation of species...if they did, Elaphe guttata would have to be reclassified into who knows how many species - solely based upon the many different looks (how many cornsnake "morphs" are there these days, anyway??)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonzo
The snake in the picture is still alive. It turned out te be a man.
He copulated in 2005 with a creamsicle and gave a litter of six pretty young snakes.
Interesting...back in post #6, you stated that this snake would not be bred. I know, I know. What you actually said was:
Quote:
you assume I will breed with this snake. That is not the case.
But since you don't own him any more, its not your fault/problem/whatever...
which just gives credibility to Seamus' comment about future owners. I'm really not giving you a hard time, because the hybridization of NA colubrids has gone on so long as to be commonplace. That doesn't make it right, it just means that it isn't worth the finger flexion it would take to argue about it. I was just pointing out how quickly the story can change.
(and for the record, I wrote all that at 3 in the morning )