FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Top Shelf Exotics (Inquiry)
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #184
NorthamExotics
MY TSE Experience

TSE has shipped animals that were sick and in no condition to be sold let alone shipped.

I purchased 3 animals from Top Shelf on September 23rd, 2005, hets for clown, hypo, and pied. I received a package on Septmeber 27th containing 3 ball pythons, all cold and lethargic. I sent an email right away to inform TSE:

Top Shelf Exotics:

I received my Fed Ex shipment shortly after 11:00. They are cold and lethargic. I honestly would have expected a heat pack in the box. Additionally, they look very thin and in poor condition. I am apprehensive about their overall health. Since I didn't sepcifically ask about the size prior to ordering, I cannot make any specific complaints about that but I was surprised at how small they are. I wanted to alert you of their condition and my initial impressions in case there is an underlying problem in the near future. Do you have individual feeding information for these three snakes?

My email was met with snide comments apologizing for my "assumptions". After coaxing information out of TSE regarding their feeding history I sent this:

I'm very concerned about their well-being and they look very thin. The het pied can't hold his head up, is thin, and is very limp with no muscle tone . The het hypo is much the same way. The het clown is active and has better body firmness than the other two. I will be surprised to see the pied and hypo be able to take live prey.

I do hope and expect them to come around but I need to make sure to make mention of my concerns. I trust in your reputation to make things right should I have a problem with these three snakes.

One snake died overnight and I sent this:

Top Shelf Exotics:

The Het Ghost died during the night and weighed 43g at death. The Het Pied is currently 48g, hollow bellied and limp, but not dead yet. Please advise how you would like to remedy this situation and what you would like me to do with the corpse(s). I do not want two more unhealthy, underweight animals. If you have nothing healthy and at least 100g I would prefer a refund for the Het Ghost and Het Pied. The Het Clown weighs 99g, appears active and has much better body mass. I am cautiously optimistic in his case.

Almost immediately my husbandry was called into question. I am unaware of what kind of poor husbandry you would have to subject snakes to short of cooking or freezing that would result in such low weights and death so quickly. The het pied subsequently died the following day. Photos were sent to TSE to document the deaths and the bodies frozen. I returned their paperwork as requested but lo and behold when the replacement animals were supposed to ship, there were mistakenly fed. The animals were finally replaced the following week and appeared to be in better health.

Since then the animals have done well but I have this sinking feeling that we will be hearing about how no hets from TSE prove out that were conveniently sold at the time when Chris was out and disavowing responsibility.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a Carolina Reptile type of situation....
______

Jason Northam

Ps. If anyone needs the actual emails or pictures as further proof I would be happy to provide them.