FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cement Board?
Thread: Cement Board?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
1Bob
I didn't go with the cement board

Cement board is a little under $10 a 3'x5' sheet for 1/4" thick. They also make 1/2" for walls. I went to the depot to purchase supplies and the wonderboard brand has a very strong odor of chemicals; so, I would not use that. But there was another brand of cement board called handiboard. It had a grid of grooves for easy cutting and absolutely no odor, but if it's heated who knows. I ended up going with neither. There was a small stack of birch plywood with a small router nick in the end (about an 1" long and 1/4" wide) and so had some spay paint on them, but very little for only $10 a 4x8 sheet. I dug through and found enough pieces with no paint only the nick. I believe, and some on correct me if I'm wrong, that birch is very safe for reptiles (no aromatics). This type of plywood is usually $20 to $30 a sheet and it will look beautiful as well. I plan on using tile board on top of the plywood for the base. If anyone knows a reason I should not use this material please let me know. I am new at this. Tile board is for use in shower enclosures and is completely water proof on one side. That was only $10 for a 4x8 sheet. The only thing left I have to figure out is the sliding glass doors in the front.