FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Raleigh, NC Show 2/3 Sep 2006
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
eric adrignola
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
Most tend to like the no frills shows because they can get the "cheap" stuff.
The cheap stuff being the imports/wildcaught and vendors selling stuff they purchased wholesale. All of which know nothing about the background of the animals they are selling.
The better shows have the quality breeders offering the best animals.
And Raleigh is not a big show, at least not the ones I had tables at.

Lots of traffic thru the door doesn't mean much unless they are people looking to purchase reptiles or reptile products. If they are there for the "rides and the "petting zoo". All the vendors are at that point is to provide a side show. And the only one that benefits are the promoters.

I agree, to a point. However, what's wrong with the promoter benifiting? That's how they make money. Now, the promoter will make mroe money if he ensures the vendors make more money as well. From what I've seen of Alex's shows, he's trying for that.

The problem Tony had was that he was mistakenly putting the "numbers in the door" above everything. So much so, that he neglected to remember that the numbers in the door would eventually drop - no matter how many attractions, shows and rides were available - if the vendors weren't there. He got away with it for a while, but eventually, 15 vendor shows stop drawing in the crowds.