FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Really Weird molting......among other things
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
6y0ballpython
Wow, what a great response!!! I am so very happy to have great herp people to talk with. I am learning so much about Monty every day. After Monty got those sores from the pipes, I put polysporin antibiotic petroleum based ointment on him, and all this time I have been putting vaseline on him when he does this weird kind of scale shedding. It helps bring the scales off better. I will stop putting this on. I guess they wouldn't have vaseline or polysporin(very close to your neosporin) in the wild, so why would they benefit from it in our homes hey?....lol. I think good old tap water is the best remedy to get skin off anyways. Monty is doing better right now, that picture of him in his tank was taken only one day ago. He still has a sore on his nose, and some old marks from the pipe scrapes, but he looks a lot better than he has in the past few months. I have two thermometers in the tank....the one you can see really well on the right is on a stand(I will lay it down in order to get a better reading of the bottom of the tank) and the one on the left by the cave rock (kind of hard to see) is on the floor for the best reading. I thank you for your advice and I agree that my hunch was also the humidity. Now that he is healed anyways. I have the UTH at the cool end opposite to the lamp (it's directly under his rock cave). Should I ditch the lamp and put another UTH that covers to the middle of his cage and just leave the right hand side with nothing for it to be a cool end? This end right now is the hot end because of the lamp, but under his rock on the left hand side, it's always about 89 degrees anyways. I think I have too much heat and not enough moisture hey? I really want to get things right for him because we are striving for a full one peice molt for him. It would feel so good to him, I know it would. He hates it when I have to peel him off and soak him in a bucket. That's not how it's supposed to be, I know.....Well, I know I tend to ramble on, but I want to give everyone as much information as I possibly can so that I can answer all of your questions better. The other day when the lamp bulb burnt out, I had to go down to the local pet store to get him another one....well, when I returned home, the entire cage (glass) was fogged right up and it was semi warm in there. The humidity was at about 80% and the heat was at about 86 degrees under his cave, but a cool 71 degrees in the rest of the cage. I am going to go to petland tonight and buy another UTH and see how it works. It can't hurt to try. I will let you know how this works. And yes, that is reflective polystyrofoam on the outside of the glass to keep the cage warmer. It works well. Any concerns about it? I also keep Monty on paper towel covered in facecloths. I change the cloths about every week, or when he soils them. If anyone has any questions about respiratory infections in snakes, I am a master at this.....Monty has had two and I am also a Registered Nurse, so I like to think I know a little about it based on my knowledge and some experience. I like to help others out if I can because everyone is so good to me here. Thanks a bunch.