FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - First time for everything........I guess
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
First time for everything........I guess

Some of you may know i kept various ssp of N.A. Crotalid from 1980 to 1995 before i just gave them up figuring my luck was bound to run out eventually. Since then, I have had a few ssp overwinter with me when I am called to remove them from porches etc.

In all my years, I have seen some amazing strikes aimed at me from some of these guys. I've seen long strikes, blindingly fast strikes, strikes coming 180° around, even seen a couple guys launch themselves when they have a good purchase.

I have a neo C. Atrox in my care for the last couple months. Another winter resident. LOL He just gave me a NEW experience that goes to fortify my decision to quit keeping hots on a regular basis.

I have hooked many rattlers in my time, but never had a snake launch his self off the hook.................Until yesterday!

I was hooking the little guy to tub him for a cage cleaning, and notorious as he is for striking, (I named him Spaz) he is still just a full foot in length, so i used my small hook.
Anyway, as I am hooking him into the tub, he strikes, and LAUNCHED himself off the hook and landed right on my foot!

Needless to say, this was pretty much a rush for me. I have never had one successfully launch off a hook before. Really just BLEW ME AWAY! All i could think of was "envenomated AGAIN!"

Nope, i got lucky and was able to flick him off with no harm to myself or him. But the rush lasted a little while. LOL

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I for one have never had one come off a hook like that EVER. I am still amazed at the distance this little guy got.

Any similar experiences you would like to share, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for looking
Rick