FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Tere Salazar
One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus

It is with great pain that I make this post. After seeing the heartbreak that Wendy at Neverland Dragons had suffered due to the Adenovirus, I decided to have all my breeders tested. I submitted 10 samples for testing on January 17th. Of the 10 samples, 6 of the tests were completed this afternoon. The remainder of the tests will be completed Monday morning. Of those 6 samples, 4 of our breeders came back positive for the Adenovirus.
Those breeders who tested positive are Hercules, Adonis, Athena and Andromeda. As soon as the remaining test results are received I will post those as well. Currently Aphrodite and Eros are negative.

As soon as I got word from the lab about the positive results, I contacted a very close friend of mine who has two offspring from Apollo and Lizzie and who just received PCR testing results. Of those two offspring, one tested positive and one tested negative for the Adenovirus. Apollo passed away in December of 2005 and was never tested, and Lizzie's results will be posted as soon as they are received.

I have already contacted everyone that I have documentation for, but in October of last year, we attended the Tucson Reptile Show, and sold quite a few babies from those parents. I do not have any way of contacting the people who bought from us at that show. If you purchased a dragon from us at the Tucson Show in October, please contact us as soon as possible.

Please everyone test your dragons!!! It doesn't matter if you bought them from me or Joe Blow on the street corner. The only way we can get some control over this virus is to test our animals and learn from what we find.
Perhaps over time and with enough testing some great minds may develop a cure and all of our beloved dragons will be safe.

As of today, Obsession Dragons became nothing more than my obsession for bearded dragons. We will no longer be breeding, purchasing, selling or trading.