FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Looking to Get Into the Herp Hobby... Need Advice!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Abby
Arrow Looking to Get Into the Herp Hobby... Need Advice!

Hello everyone. I have recently decided that I would like to start raising Ball Pythons. I have owned one for about 3 years now and have loved snakes since I was very little. I have owned Cornsnakes, Milksnakes, Kingsnakes, Ratsnakes, Iguanas, and water dragons before so I do have experience with herps. I currently raise goats and rabbits, but figured that if I sold my goat herd I would have a good amount of money to start into the snakes. The reason I have made a post about this is because I am completely lost as to how I would go about doing this. I have read tons of stuff on these wonderful animals, but there isn't a whole lot of information out there on how to get into them. Here are some of the things I would like to know:

-What is the best type of caging for breeding?
-What would be a reasonable price to pay for this caging?
-How many snakes is a good number to start out with?
-Is it better to let the mother incubate her own eggs, or take them away and do it yourself?
-What sort of Ball Pythons should I start with? Morphs, Hets, or Normals?

I just don't want to rush into this without being completely prepaired. If anyone has tips or information that could help me it would be greatly appreciated! You can email me privately at Abi214@msn.com with any information. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you : )