FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New Owner with LOTS of questions!
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Minimom
New Owner with LOTS of questions!

Hello: I/we are new baby bearded dragon owners. My son has wanted a Dragon for years but I wanted to make sure that he was old enough for the responsibility. He is now 12 and received "Gizzard" for Xmas.

When I bought Gizzard, I went to a pet store. The person helping me pick everything out for him was simply reading from a list of supplies recommended and I bought all that was on the list. I bought a very large reptile tank/aquarium, a light fixture with three bulbs in it, one for basking, reptile carpet (I read sand is a no no) a water dish, fake trees, a log for basking and a piece of driftwood. I also bought a cricket habitat, dust and food for the crickets. I bought a hygrometer and temp gauge.

The pet store employee told me to feed him two crickets in the morning and remove any live crickets at night before going to bed. We have been leaving all the lights on during the day and turning them off at night.

Now to my questions:

I asked about feeding greens and read online that absolutely NO lettuce is to be given. The pet store employee told me to only feed him baby crickets at first as he is too little to eat anything else. We have seen him eat his crickets but should we be giving him more than two per day?

After reading on this forum all the information I can find and yes, it has taken days, I bought organic mixed baby greens from the grocery store in order to give him a snack but don't know how much to give him and is the lettuce caution for real?

We have been misting him with clean/room temperature water a couple of times a day but I've also read about giving him a bath. How often should we be sitting him in a bath? The water should be the same temp for a baby, correct?

Sorry about all the questions but with all the information out there and all the different opinions, I am very confused. Lettuce? NO Lettuce? Sand? NO sand? Hopefully you guys will understand my confusion and give me guidance as this little fellow has become a family member and is loved tremendously already!
Thanks in advance,
Confused mom in Atlanta