FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - One more week til
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
KJUN
Snows are really much more new to the market (time wise) than many people realize. They have only become common in the last few years. With that said, I strongly believe we have only seeing the TIP of the ice berg in how variable these guys can look. Matter of fact, it was only a few years ago that I was still being called a liar about snows that retained red coloration. I think enough pictures have been posted since then so that people have been forced to believe me....lol.

Anyway, MOST snows were originally created with the "Trumbower" line white-sided mutation (WS). That line had very little color or pattern - and it was limited to the dorsal surface only. These were awesome examples of WS, and they were so pale (and large) because they had been extensively crossed to wild, south Texas, bullsnakes. The Bell line (same mutation) seemed to have been bred the other direction. They must have been bred to darker, more northern, bullsnakes. Actually, they were probably bred into whatever bull was available....lol.

The Bell line of WS bulls are the ones where the pattern is real "muddy" looking and extends down on the lateral scales. These also have MORE pigmentation remaining over the snake's body.

In my opinion, these are NOT very good looking WS bullsnakes. It's the opposite direction from where, I believe, selective breeding with this mutation should have headed. With that said, they make a VERY unique looking snow (I really like it!).....which is what you seem to have above. It's a heavily patterned snow because it PROBABLY was created using a "bell" line WS bull and not the "Trumbower" line WS bull.

As far as the hybino thing goes, I've hatched out hybino speckleds, hybino snows, and I've had more than one supposed hybino albino (adult to baby) in my hands. NOT ONE has ever looked different from a regular snow, albino speckled, or albino. I can vouch for the genetics of the ones I produced, but I can't vouch for the genetics of the albinos I've seen. For reasons I won't go into here, I would have been surprised if they were all true hybinos.

Take care and good luck on the eggs. I'm a little later than you on Pituophis, but my first group of Elaphe eggs might be outside in the snake room as I post this message.
KJ