FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Line breeding question
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
JCCS
Rick, this all depends on different factors.

If you had one animal that expressed this trait and no parents, I would breed the animal to a normal to try to figure out how the gene works or if it works at all. Of course if the offspring come out normal, raising one up to breed back to the original animal. As soon as you figure out how the gene works, outbreeding should be started to strengthen and create different lines.

If you had the parents, I would do the same as above, while breeding the parents back together to try for more of the same trait. Then take the offspring from the second breeding and breed them to other unrelated animals to create as much genetic diversity as possible. Once you figure out how it is crossed, I would also start thinking about combos.

I think my main point is, you have to line breed in order to produce a recessive trait or super form of an incomplete dominant trait, but a little patience lets you make enough different lines of hets to make this line breeding less damaging than sibling to sibling or parent to offspring breedings.

The parent to offspring cross only needs to be done once in order to determine the pattern of the mutation.

Chris