FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Aggressive young'n
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
whytepizza
Well, lets see. I took him to one vet who said everythign was fine. "It just takes a while for them to start shedding" were his exact words. I didn't like that vet, but i was in NJ at the time.
So, i moved, he was pretty good. I started to notice his tail was getting a little skinny but then he shed! I had a party. Well, about three days after he shed his front foot started to swell. I took him to a vet and the vet said he seemed okay, but didn't run any feces tests (stupid doctors). If i only had my own microscope.
Anyway, He started to have trouble with the skin by his mouth so i went to, yet, another doctor. This doctor ran tests and found it. So, he flushed his entire system and hand fed him, but the dragon bit the heck out of the dr's aid.
The dragon was good for about two days and then crashed. No bacteria in its intestines and started having extensive diarreah. So, the doctor put him on some of the good bacteria diet thingy. Everything the dragon ate it threw back up. Lost about 15g (it was small to begin with). This went on for about a month and then the doctor said no treatment was working well and that the dragon might have some damage due to genetics. So, he recommended to put the dragon down and that he could do no more.
I called a friend who bought a few from the same woman and he said his vet did not kill all the becteria but used a different oral treatment and it worked well. Downside was, his dragons lost a few appendanges because this treatment worked slower and he couldn't give them specialized time.
Well, i loooove dragons, so i took them in. One with no back legs (but she has stumps) and one with a few missing toes. Both are great and have amazing personalities! The one with no legs is bossy, too. I keep telling her to 'kick the other one around!'
Anyway, they are doing well. If it wasn't for that first vet i would probably still have the other little guy! I actually kind of miss him and his moody self. I was very surprised, the new dragons (hatched around the same time) are around 10-12", the one i had was 6". So far so good, i just have to switch out their substrate soon. I only had crushed walnut shell around and i did not want to use the sand the previous dragon was in, so tomorrow i'm switching to filtered play sand. I'm moving today and i am just waiting to move them into the new home, then switch their bedding.