FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bad Guy Sean Kirk of Sean's Exotics (najaman517@yahoo.com) is Selling False Hets
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
hhmoore
I understand your frustration, but there are a couple of comments just screaming to be made. Before I touch on those, I'm going to state that, despite being fairly local, I do not know Sean.
1) 8 babies without a visual is not a guarantee that the snake is not a het. The expected outcome of a breeding is based on statistics, and are only applicable when applied to large numbers. While it is commonly stated that one should get 25% of this, and 25% of that, applying the science to a small sample size is easier if you consider what it means on an individual basis. In this breeding, each embryo would have a 25% chance of being an albino.
That holds a different meaning than the common phrasing, but it is the way things work.

Look how many times this very thing happens in the BP world. Yes, it's frustrating, and can cause lots of bad feelings, but a single small sample isn't definitive.

2) The convenient poor health excuse. Yes, it is a common excuse, but sometimes it is real. I don't know Sean, so I can't confirm or deny his stated health status - BUT, I can say that I sent him an email several months ago...and part of his response was an apology for the delay in getting back to me. He cited health issues at that time & told me he was starting to sell of much of his collection. He doesn't owe me money, so unless he was preparing for this thread even then, I'm not inclined to just toss that explanation aside as typical scammer BS.

3) What you figure you're out. Sure you might BE out a couple of albino and/or sunglow babies from the small litter she dropped, or even a litter from a different female had you not put your male with that one...but you can't seriously be anticipating any compensation for those things? First, again, Mendelian genetics principles deal with statistics, and sometimes people get lucky...sometimes they don't. Second, if you had another female, you could have put the male with both and increased your odds. If your stance is that you would have bought another female, and gotten different results...well, how do you know what those results would have been? You might have gotten a large litter full of albinos and sunglows.....or you could have gotten a big pile of slugs....heck, it's quite feasible that you would have gotten nothing.

Again, I'm not saying your assessment of the snake - or Sean, for that matter - is incorrect. But from an outsider's perspective, those are the things that caught my eye in your post.