FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Observations Of A Closed Society
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #74
KNOBTAIL
BRIAN, DANIEL, Iam glad I struck a nerve

because we all know that legislation is in the pipeline. How it will affect us remains to be seen, but it will happen.

Brian, to answer your question, as to what to do with these animals that have produced for you is an interesting one. Because this is what puts people into business, at least for a short while before they move onto something else. You also happen to be correct about your analogy to Ebay. I am fully aware of the difficulties that arise in any business. As a matter of fact I think we both can agree that Ebay has created businesses.
The livestock business is somewhat unique and needs to be monitored in order to be successful. We cannot sell endangered animals, or break into zoos or smuggle herps accross borders any longer. The penalities are stiffer, and countries have alliances with other countries. So our situation is a bit different. It would only benefit you in the long run, me included, if we were protected from our own worst enemies, namely those people who dont care, are in it for weekend, need money in a hurry, and on ad nauseum.

Insofar as the example of the 14 year old, I used it to portray an actual incident that did occur. I dont mind competiton, but is it fair for someone to get into a show with no permit at all ! Is that the criteria? Of course not! I dont think you would like a person taking a booth next to you who goes from friend to friend, and brings herps to sell at a show (regardless of the reason) with out having some legitimacy. The organizers dont seem to care, they just want the table sold. So who protects Brian ? At least if you were licenced as a dealer or breeder or whatever, they would not be allowed to participate unless they themselves were licenced. Is this such a bad thing?

Daniel, you would not be locked out, because the regulations that I was referring to has nothing to do with your inventory or how or where you maintain it. If your residence is your place of business , fine. If you need a phyical place, thats fine to. But at least by being licenced, you add legitimacy to your vocation. Right now their is none. We are all pooled together even though we may call ourselves importers, or wholesalers, or breeders. Without some clear understanding what a looser does on the bottom of the rung, may effect all the good work you have done on the top of that rung. Thats a given fact.

I saw what happened in 1975 when someone whom I know tried to smuggle some herps into the country. It effected everyone. Everyone became a matter of suspicion, and I did not like it, I had nothing to do with this individual, never did business with him, but all of a sudden we were monitored. As isolated as this incident was (without going into to much detail) the appearance of Fish and Wildlife was no longer a friendly matter, but rather an intrusion. It has continued to this day.