FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What's with the price crashing?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #65
Gloryhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I think it depends on what animals we are talking about here. Lets say albino boas, they are a staple morph, and their selling price is known and should not be significantly dropped. Harald mentioned above that some boas were 1/3rd the price of last year, but were they new morphs trying to find their price points or staple morphs? Lets take albino motleys and sunglow motleys for example. They are new and breathtaking, everyone wants them so a huge price tag follows, they started at i think $4,500, and within months i see them at $2,500-$3000. Why the drop? because no one will pay that, the value is not there and we all know by the time they are breedable they will be worth a small fraction of that.. Albino motleys started at $1300-1500 and are now at $800 or so and that was all within a year. I fully expect that come 2011 albino mots will be $600-800 and sunglow mots will be 1500-1800 or so. Like it or not people are going to want to sell these things eventually.. BUT I would be VERY disappointed if in 2012 the prices move from there. At that point i believe they will find their price point. I think those prices are fair and reasonable for those morphs and I wouldn't be upset paying that for them. And that is what its all about, finding the sweet spot in pricing where you are getting a fair amount for your animals and your customers dont have buyers remorse the next season.
I wonder also if some price drops are due to the latest and greatest mentality everyone has, particularly with ball pythons. A lot of breeders and collectors want to work with the latest and greatest gene to hit the market. Breeders think they need the latest and greatest to make their mark, so they think they need to sell off everything quick so they can buy the new gene and make their mark. Granted little do they realize they are setting up the fall of that new morph they forked out big dollars for. I also sometimes wonder if the over abundance of morphs is more of a hinderence to holding prices than a true help. Corns have tons of morphs and I just can't seem to get myself wrapped around them (granted I really have not tried). Could excessive choice be the fall of other animals as well?