FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - signs of old age in chameleons?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 09:23 PM   #11
Dingo
I would highly recommend taking him to a vet. I take all new additions to my collection to the vet ASAP. Along with keeping them quarentined from my other chams for a few months, whether I notice a problem or not. I then take them in for a yearly physical exam and fecal screen. It is a good practice to get into.

Take a fresh fecal with you to be checked for parasites as well as other communicable infections he could have. Petstores are well known to spread parasites and diseases. I have seen whole collections lost to additions from petstores. I only buy from reputable breeders and even then I take extensive precautions.

I would also have him do some bloodwork. It will reveal exactly what is going on with his calcium defficiency.

Good exotic herp vets are worth their weight in gold. If you do not have faith in your vet, then look for another. Call them and ask if they have experience with chams, if not try somewhere else. Sometimes it takes driving a little further, but your time and money is better spent.

Use a styrofoam container with heat packs when traveling in cold weather. The stress of traveling is far better than letting something get to far advanced to treat.