FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - My Weekend Project
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
danthebugman
My Weekend Project

I like DIY projects and have been needing to do something different with my growing collection. Here is a pic of how the snakes were housed before:

As you can see things are a little unorganized. Plus this shelf measures 3' wide x 2' deep. I house most of my snakes in 41 qt Sterilite tubs which are a little over 16" deep so there is a bit of wasted space. I have been looking at doing something different for a little while now and finally last weekend got the ball rolling. I bought 2 Plano 4 tier shelves. They measure 3' wide x 18" deep. I cut down the supports so that the tubs will just fit on each shelf, I use lids with my tubs so there is a little bit of allowance. Without having an assembled shelf to make comparisons to I figured the tubs would just fit between the supports on the ends. I was wrong, but it was a simple enough fix. I just cut some notches in the supports and the tubs slide in pretty well. They are a little snug, but a little more fine tuning and I think they'll be perfect. Here's a picture of the new rack:

I'll get some more pics when I get everything squared away. I still have to get some wheels put on the bottom so that it's easy to move. I also am going to be getting some flexwatt and a thermostat to replace the heat mats that I use now. If anyone has any questions feel free to post in the thread or PM me. It's a pretty easy project and thus far I've spent about $60, but I was impatient and went to Wal-Mart and bought them. If you look online you can get the same shelves I did for about half the cost, free shipping too!!

Dan